So Christmas is over, you’re feeling bloated and bankrupt and ready to write off 2017 as a Trumpian/brexit disaster and get on with whatever else life throws at you so you set a bunch of new years resolutions, vow to stop smoking, lose a stone and finally get over your ex only to be found in a heap in your living room on February 3rd with a chronic hangover, cigarette breath mixing with the cheesy chips you devoured and a crippling shame cringe from calling the ex three times the night before.
The after Christmas limbo we all get stuck in can leave a lot of us feeling a bit lack-lustre which makes the prospect of a new year ahead a little overwhelming. I feel like this every year, the awkwardness of Christmas day and the stress that went into buying and affording presents for it all to be over in one anti-climactic day always leaves me feeling miserable and being pretty unpleasant to be around hence why I thought I’d write this post, it’s more for me than you guys but if it helps anyone else then that’s fab!
So, 2018 is a whole new year and with this comes all manner of pros and cons, some people love the idea of ‘new year, new me’ and setting goals but I think for a lot of us it can be quite a daunting prospect.
The usual resolutions are ‘get fit’ ‘lose x amount of weight’ and ‘stick of my new diet’ which can all be great and mark the start of a healthy new lifestyle but if you’re recovering from an eating disorder it’s kind of a minefield of misplaced guilt and anxiety which brings me to my overall point. It’s never useful for ANY of us to set unrealistic goals – we won’t achieve them and then we’re stuck with the imminent feelings of failure. I also put really high expectations on myself that I often can’t reach which gets me stuck in a cycle of self-hatred and guilt so I want to, for once make a sensible, attainable new year’s resolution list that doesn’t involve me being the skinniest I’ve ever been because guess what Luce? You weren’t happy then either.
- Continue to work out and do yoga without focusing on calorie burn and instead do it for the enjoyment and mental clarity.
- Keep setting attainable recovery goals but don’t punish yourself for set backs- you are human and make mistakes.
- Practice mindfullness more to change the way you view experiences and to reduce stress.
- Cut back on drinking so much- it gives you the worse anxiety and stops you from being productive.
- Stop obsessing over getting a breast lift- they’re just tits and no one cares except you.
- Continue to pursue career goals in all aspects whilst making sure not to take on too much and burn out.
- Keep a gratitude journal and don’t do it half-arsed like you do now.
- Stop comparing yourself to others all the time, it does nothing but make you feel inadequate.
- Talk to yourself like a friend- you don’t call your friends useless and failures so why do you do it to yourself?
- focus on saving money- STOP ORDERING TAKE AWAYS it never tastes as good as you think it’s going to.
Ok lil honey bees that is my list for the coming year, let me know if you’ve got any similar resolutions and you can identify with any of mine.
Go and make 2018 your bitch ♥♥♥