I am a worrier, I worry about everything and if I don’t have anything to worry about I worry about the next time I’ll have something to worry about. why am I telling you this? Well, my little chums it has struck me that once again I am awake at an unearthly hour with dozens of ideas, worries and mild panic attacks going off in my head despite my yoga this morning, which usually helps me drift off to sleep. As I was lying in my bed propped up on a pillow and watching endless episodes of The Office US on Netflix it struck me that at times when I am most anxious or pessimistic I almost always am struck with a sudden surge of philosophical thinking which either leads me to writing lists until my alarm goes off or sends me writing in my journal for hours. However, on this occasion, I have you lovelies to write to and I would love to think that I am not the only one that spends their nights procrastinating and lulling themselves into a frenzied state! Because of this I thought it would be just splendid to share some little tips and tricks that I use to get over my worries and stresses in everyday life ❂
Without further ado here is my ‘Quick, don’t have yourself sectioned, just read this list’ list
- Breathe. Yes I know it’s the most patronizing and irritating things of all but the facts are there; if we allow ourselves to get in a tizz and begin to hyperventilate or breathe rapidly we breathe using our shoulders rather than our diaphragm and this disrupts the balance within our bodies which will prolong any anxious feelings. So, deep breath in annnnnndddddd out.
- Lie in semi supine. What is that I hear you ask? Well my loves, I first came across semi supine when I was at drama school and found myself drifting off whilst lying in this position. It basically involves you lying on your back with your legs bent so that your feet are flat on the ground, it really helps me to get rid of any tension in my upper back and neck plus its comfy and you can have a little snooze.
- MUSIC- youtube, spotify, the radio, anything; when I can’t switch off and I need to sleep I listen to relaxation music to send me off to the land of nod and during the day, if I’m suddenly horribly anxious I’ll listen to a really high-energy, fun song to get my blood pumping and make me smile, if you dance around that’s even better- release some endorphins!
- Be creative; find something arts and crafty to do, something to keep your hands busy that doesn’t involve googling the words ‘why is my life like this?’ I find staying off my laptop and phone for a while helps and it’s nice to take some time to do things like make cards, customize your bag, colour code your knickers draw- it really doesn’t matter, just take your mind off your worries
- Kissing- if you’re lucky enough to have a special someone, grab them and plant one on them because kissing helps to relieve stress by releasing endorphins!
- Yoga- the most effective in my opinion, I am a huge yoga fan and without it I may have lost all sense of reality, it helps you feel grounded, present and of course it’s great exercise too which means even more endorphins
I hope you found this little list helpful and now you can get some sleep,